Imbolc is the perfect time to welcome back the light into your life. It’s a time to honor the longer days and returning warmth of the sun, to acknowledge the first signs of spring and fading power of winter. It’s a time of renewal and rebirth. To let go of the things that hold you back, and embrace the possibilities the future holds. This simple Imbolc ritual will help you do just that. This is one of my favorite rituals and one I look forward to every year. As always, feel free to use this Imbolc ritual as you see fit, make changes to suit your needs, Path, and make it your own.
A Simple Imbolc Ritual
- 13 white candles
- Central candle (I use a special snowflake candle, but you can use any here. White or gold color is best.)
- Quartz Crystals (Snowy quartz is my favorite for this, but crystals are optional)
- Fire safe container.
- Create sacred space in whatever way you are comfortable doing.
- Arrange your candles so that your central candle is in the middle with the 13 candles surrounding it. Place quartz crystals in between each candle in the outer ring.
- Light your central candle. Say the following or create your own words, “Light awaken from your sleep, return now and bring your heat. Light awaken and be reborn, I honor you this Imbolc ‘morn.”
- Light the outer ring of candles and say “Longer days and melting snow, bird returns and seedlings grow, I celebrate the returning spring and the renewal and rebirth it does bring.”
- Meditate on the returning of the light and the promise of spring as you see fit.
- If you wish to release anything holding your back, take your piece of paper and write that on it that which you wish to leave behind. Fold your paper and set it alight from the central candle. Let it burn to ash in the fire proof bowl (Do not leave this unsupervised until it has completely burned out!). Think no more about that problem and leave it behind. Look forward to what lies ahead. Discard the ashes by setting them out in the trash.
- If you wish to embrace or welcome something into your life (like meeting a new goal, finding a new job, or improving yourself in some way) write that down on a piece of paper as well. Fold it up and hold it tight. As you do so envision your future self accomplishing that goal. How will it feel? What will your life be like? Visualize it. Keep your paper some place safe and visualize your goal every day until you complete it.
- End your ritual with an offering to any deities or entities you see fit and releasing any sacred space you have formed to the way it was.
After the ritual light a candle in every room of your home, or turn on every light in your home for a few moments to welcome the light back into your life and home. If you are starting your garden preparations, you can also bless your gardening implements, seeds and seedlings to help ensure a healthy and bountiful garden this summer. Continue your celebrations with friends and family, or by yourself with food and drink such as herbal teas, poppy seed muffins or cake, and egg or dairy based dishes.
Spring is coming, enjoy the lengthening days, shorter nights, and warmer sun. Notice the ever changing natural world around as the first spring plants once again start appearing and birds once again return from their winter migrations. Notice the growth and abundance of nature awaken as spring comes ever closer.