February celebrations make this short month full of activities and opportunities for you to connect with the season. February brings with it the return of the light. The days are getting longer and the light is reborn! February is also filled with celebrations that should not be missed. Connect with the turning of the wheel of the seasons and celebrate the joys that February brings plus fun bucket list activities for every family.
February 2017 Moon (Snow Moon) Phases:
- Full Moon: None!
- 1st Quarter: 23rd
- Last Quarter: 7th
- New Moon: 15th
Snow Moon Lore:
The snow moon brings with it a time of snow and cold. It was often a time of year when people’s winter supplies would run low, food scarcity figures prominently in the alternate names of this moon.
- Storm Moon
- Hunger Moon
- Little Famine Moon
- Full Bony Moon
February 2017 Celebrations, Holidays, Festivals & Special Days:
- 2nd: Imbolc/Candlemas & Ground Hog Day
- 10th – Tu Bishvat
- 13th – Mardi Gras, Shrove Tuesday (Pancake Day) & Maha Shrivaratri
- 14th – St. Valentine’s Day & Ash Wednesday
- 16th – Lunar New Year
- 19th – President’s Day (US)
February Seasonal Bucket List Ideas
It might be cold and snowy out, but that’s no excuse to let this month pass you by! There are many fun activities for you to participate in with your friends and family. As always, check around your local area to find unique seasonal events that are happening in your neck of the woods!
- Skiing (Downhill & Cross Country – Late season downhill skiing is the best skiing!)
- Maple Sugaring* – *This is very weather dependent. Generally sugaring season doesn’t start until next month, March, but I have heard that some places have started tapping already due to warm temperatures!
- Ice Skating
- Ice Fishing (Check with your local Fish & Wildlife department for seasonal details and permit requirements)
- Snow boarding
- Mardi Gras parades & festivities (Just because you aren’t in New Orleans doesn’t mean there’s no Mardi Gras Festivities near you!)
- Go on a Romantic Date with your Valentine
- Create & Give out Valentines
- Bake Valentines Cookies
- Bake or cook seasonally appropriate dishes involving eggs and milk (such as quiches)
- Celebrate Imbolc
Seasonal Personal Growth Activities
February marks the return of the light. The longer days bring home, increasing warmth and the first indications that spring is on the way. It’s the perfect time of year to cast off that which no longer serves you and embrace new ideas, beginnings and growth!
- Practice Self-love & Self-Care (Because you CAN be your own Valentine)
- Start a new project or venture
- Review your resolutions, leave those which no longer serve you.
- Practice random acts of kindness
- Spend time in nature. Notice the changes starting to take place in the nature around you.
- Focus on growing in your own life in any aspect from business to spirituality.
- Welcome the return of the light with a ritual or by lighting a candle in every room of your home (or turning on the lights in every room) on February 2nd.
February is a month that brings change. Spring will soon be upon us and February is the messenger that brings the first promise of warmer times to come. Enjoy your longer days, festivals of love and light, and the Snow Moon that February brings.
What will you be doing this February?