October has arrived, even if the leaves are still green and the weather still hot, fall is in full swing. In some areas the fall foliage is peaking or has just peaked, and the leaves will soon fall from the trees leaving them bare and empty. October is the last remnant of the beautify of fall before it turns barren in preparation for winter. Now is the time to enjoy the last of the warmer weather and spend time outside before the cold hits. It’s also the time of pumpkins, apples, and Halloween!
It is said that Halloween or Samhain marks the time of the year when the veil between the living world and the spirit realm is thinnest. That means now is the best time to communicate and with spirits and honor ancestors who have came before us. Now is the perfect time to remember those you may have lost in the previous year and honor their lives, or seek advice from your ancestors be they of direct blood or the ancestors of all humanity.
October Holidays, Festivals & Events
12th: Shimini Azeret
13th: Simchat Torah
18th: St. Luke’s Day
21st: Diwali, Spirit Day
28th: St. Simon/St. Jude Day
31st: Halloween/Samhain/All Souls Night
October Moon Names:
Hunter’s Moon, Drying Moon, Travel Moon
October Moon Lore:
October is a traditional time for hunting as the game animals are in good condition and preparing for winter. Likewise it’s a good time to dry fish, fruits, herbs, and meats for the long winter to come. Travel is best done now, before the cold and heavy snows of winter set in.
October Moon Phases:
Full Moon: 5th
New Moon: 19st
1st Quarter: 27th
Last Quarter: 12th
October Seasonal Bucket List:
- Make your own Halloween costume.
- Go trick-or-treating.
- Attend a Halloween party.
- Go to a haunted house/haunted forest.
- Honor your ancestors.
- Carve a pumpkin.
- Go bobbing for apples.
- Make pumpkin pie.
- Decorate your home with apples, pumpkins & gourdes.
- Read a ghost story.
- Visit a pumpkin patch.
October Seasonal Personal Growth Activities
- Reflect on your own darker emotions/feelings and learn from them. Where do they come from and how can you resolve them or come to peace with them?
- Honor your ancestors and seek knowledge/guidance from them.
- Plan for lean or dark times ahead, be it winter or in other areas of your life.
- Enjoy the fall, before the cold winter weather starts to set in.