A New Year brings a new month, and this month there are lots of things just waiting for you to celebrate! Here are some of the seasonal celebrations you take time to make part of your life in January! There is always something to celebrate from the phases of the moon to holidays and other seasonal festivities and activities. Remember, something cool may be happening in your area, so check your local resources to find out what’s going on where you are!
January 2018 Moon (Wolf Moon) Phases
Full Moon: 2nd
New Moon: 17th
First Quarter: 24th
Last Quarter: 8th
Wolf Moon Lore:
- Old Moon
- Snow Moon
- Bright Wolf Moon calls for ample rains & a good harvest year.
- Red or reddish tinted Wolf Moon calls for a dry year.
- Marriages during the waxing moon and flowing tide are lucky.
- A halo around the moon means stormy weather.
January 2017 Holidays, Festivals & Special Days
1st: New Year’s Day/Solemnity of Mary
7th: Orthodox Christmas
14th: Orthodox New Year
15th: Martin Luther King Jr Day & Civil Rights Day
31st: Tu Bishvat
Seasonal Bucket List Activities:
Coming from a northern climate I tend to skew to suggesting activities that involve ice and snow. I firmly believe that by having fun and active winter hobbies it makes winter not just tolerable, but enjoyable. It seems it is always those without a winter hobby that end up hating and dreading winter. So if you find yourself in a cold, snowy climate this winter, try a new hobby. You just might discover something that you will enjoy for life and that will bring you joy even in the dark and coldest times of the year.
- Skiing (Downhill & Nordic)
- Ice Sports (Ice Hockey, figure skating, etc)
- Ice climbing
- Wishing for Summer & Complaining about the cold (Everyone does it, c’mon now 😉 )
- Animal Tracking
- Winter Camping
- Snowflake photography & viewing
- Indoor sports (soccer, track, etc)
- Donate Winter Clothing to Charity
- Volunteer or support local homeless shelters
- Create insulated shelters for feral cats
Seasonal Personal Growth Activities:
The start of the New Year makes January prime time to start new activities and bring new influences into your life. Now it’s the time to reflect on the lessons from the previous year and learn how they can aid you going forward. How can you avoid making those same mistakes again this year? How can you do even better than you did last year? Now is the time to think about these issues and plan your goals for the coming year.
Remember, the best goals are specific, measurable, and realistic. Instead of “getting in shape” try, I will complete the couch to 5k program.
- Review the previous year.
- Set new goals.
- Create new resolutions.
- Plan how you will accomplish your goals.
- Learn from the past year’s mistakes and missteps.
- Do something new!
Winter doesn’t have to be the time of year that you dread! There are many wonderful activities to keep you fit, active, and help you give back. If that’s not your thing, it’s also the perfect time to spend a little time reflecting and thinking about your own life while you plan for the year ahead. However you spend your January, I hope it’s a wonderful start to 2017.
What are you doing this January?