Ahh, December. One of the most eagerly anticipated months. December brings the year to a close, and celebrates the return or rebirth of the light in a number of traditions and faiths. It’s a time to celebrate with friends, family, and loved ones. It’s a time to help others, and to look forward to the future with love and hope. I love December, it’s one of my favorite times of the year. Of course, it’s easy when you live in an idyllic setting like Vermont. Since moving away, this time of year is always tinged with sadness, and longing. “I’ll be Home For Christmas” becomes all too real, but life is what we make it. I try to look forward to the celebrations and events in the first official month of Winter no matter where I am.
December Holidays, Festivals & Events
3rd: Advent Begins
12th – 20th Hanukkah
21st Winter Solstice/Yule/ 1st Day of Winter
26th Kwanzaa Begins
December Moon Names
Blue Moon, Cold Moon, Long Night’s Moon
December Moon Lore
Blue moon originally was the name given to December’s full moon. Now it’s the common name for the second full moon in a month. Cold Moon and Long Night’s Moon are pretty self explanatory, as December can be a cold month and has the longest night of the year at the Winter Solstice.
December Moon Phases:
Full Moon: 3rd
New Moon: 18th
1st Quarter: 26th
Last Quarter: 10th
December Bucket List
- Decorate your home for the holidays.
- Donate to the local food shelf.
- Cut your own Yule or Christmas Tree
- Make a popcorn & cranberry garland.
- Make holiday cookies!
- Play holiday music or go caroling.
- Attend a local holiday market or festival.
- Participate or attend a local holiday event (like a Santa Run)
- Wrap gifts with recycled paper or try cloth.
- Have mulled cider or wine (or glogg)
- Create a seasonal craft, like Popsicle stick sleigh decorations.
- Create a Yule log.
- Watch the sun rise on the winter solstice.
- Have hot chocolate!
- Go on a horse drawn sleigh ride.
- Send holiday cards to your friends & family.
- Wear your cozy-ist sweater.
December Personal Growth Activities
- Focus on hope, joy, and change. How can you bring that into your life?
- Finish up any shadow work you may have been doing.
- Plan for the New Year, set goals and intentions.
- Serve others, be a light in the dark to those who need it most right now.