August is here, and I don’t know about you but for me it’s been a flurry of change and activity! Normally my August seasonal celebrations post would be a little earlier in the month than this, but I’ve been busy moving! After about 3 weeks living in hotels and traveling, I am now settled down at my new home in Japan! I am eager to experience early fall in this new location. Already, a seasonal weather event has impacted the area: Typhoon Noru. In the United States and in the Asia Pacific region, it’s the time of year for hurricanes and typhoons. This is surprisingly, my 4th storm of this nature. I’ve been through prior ones in North Carolina, two in Pennsylvania, and now one (and counting) in Japan. If you are in an area that recieves strong weather events this time of year, do take precautions to ensure your safety should a weather event happen! Stay safe!
Now, on to more exciting and fun topics: August holidays, moons, events, and yes, the seasonal bucket list! I know for many it’s back to school time, but I will not mention that here (other than this). There is still time to capture the last free time of summer and enjoy late summer and early fall. I’ve always liked August. It still brings summer weather, but gradually over the month you can feel the first touches of fall on the wind. The leaves on the tree are no longer the bright green of spring, there are stray brilliant red, yellow and orange leaves where once it was only green. The nights, get slightly colder. The wind is different, a coolness can be found on a breeze that once only brought heat.
August Holidays, Festivals & Events
1st: Lammas/Lughansadh, Tisha B’Av
15th: Assumption of Mary
25th: Ganesh Charturthi
26th: Women’s Equality Day
31st: Day of Arafat
August Moon Names:
Sturgeon Moon, Grain Moon
August Moon Lore:
The fish, sturgeon is plentiful this time of year, and is the reason for the name “Sturgeon Moon”. Grains are also ready to be harvested this time of year. It is said that the height of the farming season is August 7th.
August Moon Phases:
Full Moon: 7th
New Moon: 21st
1st Quarter: 29th
Last Quarter: 14th
August Seasonal Bucket List:
- Have a bonfire (BONUS: Make s’mores).
- Harvest your garden.
- Attend a harvest festival.
- Pick your own seasonal berries (ex. blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries).
- Plant a fall garden.
- Can or preserve fresh seasonal produce.
- Go to the beach (or pool), one last time.
- Bake homemade bread.
August Seasonal Personal Growth Activities
Rid yourself of that which is no longer needed or wanted.
A Simple Ritual To Let Go Of That Which You No Longer Need:
- A white candle
- Fire-safe container
- Pin, pocket-knife or other implement to write upon your candle.
- Write upon your white candle all the things you wish to let go of. As you do so, focus all your energy upon it. Envision your life free of those things that you have outgrown.
- Place your candle in a candle holder or other fire-safe container.
- Light the candle and as it burns say “I release that which I no longer need, may I be free of that which I leave behind. I move forward and embrace the new journey before me,” or something similar in your own words or to suit your own needs.
- Leave the candle some place safe where it will not be disturbed, to burn completely out.
- Once the candle has burned out dispose of it.