For years I never gave much thought to my skincare. In fact, until late last summer, I pretty much opted out of skincare entirely. Until I decided, “Hey, I’m in Korea, I should check out this Kbeauty stuff!” The rest is history.
As an environmentally and socially conscious consumer I do my best to support only those brands which adhere to practices which do the least amount of harm. When dealing with products that don’t always come in a language you understand it’s difficult to know what goes into them and how they are produced! I’ve been researching cruelty-free kbeauty brands and would like to share that research with you here. It’s a work in progress and not an exhaustive list. I welcome additions to the list! If you know of cruelty-free kbeauty brands I’ve missed, let me know.
A Few Notes on Animal Testing on Cosmetics in Korea & China:
- As of 2018 animal testing for cosmetics in Korea will be prohibited. Many brands have already discontinued the practice, including as the Amore Pacific brands.
- Many Korean beauty products are sold in China.
Animal testing for cosmetics sold in China is REQUIRED. Therefore, some brands may not be tested on animals in Korea, but the Chinese version may be tested on animals. Use this information to make the choices that you are happy with! The list below contains only those that are cruelty-free (not vegan, organic or anything else), and some brands may be sold in China (those that are sold in China are bolded).EDIT 3/17/2019: “China has announced that post-market cosmetic testing in the country will no longer include animal tests.” Source: Live Kindly.
Resources & Related Links:
- Cruelty-Free International – An international organization which opposed animal testing. They also certify brands as cruelty-free with the leaping bunny logo.
- KARA – Korean Animal Rights Advocates, an animal rights group based in Korea. KARA 2017 List of Cruelty-Free Brands.
- Soko Glam on Cruelty-Free Products
- Are Korean Cosmetics Cruelty-Free?
- r/asianbeauty discussions here, and even more here.
Cruelty-Free Beauty Tips:
Disclaimer: The following contains affiliate links. That means that if you make a purchase by using the links I will recieve monetary compensation at no additional cost to you. This does not impact my opion of the products or services I share with you. I only share products/services that I believe in. Wildwood & Sage is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. Read my full disclosure statement here.
- Look for the leaping bunny symbol from Cruelty Free International on the packaging.
- Purchase from a company that curates for you, like Glow Recipe (use my link to save 15% off your first order)
- Do what you can with the means you have. I started out not knowing if the products I use are cruelty-free. Some I still don’t know. Start with what you have and if you can make changes in the future when you are able to do so.
Notes: Some brands I received mixed information on. I have excluded them from this list until I find out more. For example SkinFood, I was only able to find an old list from KARA that included them, with recent discussions saying both they are and they aren’t. I am adding new brands as I come across them, updates to this post will be noted at the end of the post.
*** I provide this information for your informational purposes only. I have not personally verified every claim by every brand made here. I have pulled together this list from a variety of sources. I cannot guarantee the 100% accuracy of the information here. As always, perform your own due diligence research when trusting random people on the internet (that includes me).
Edit Aug 9, 2017: Brands that sell products in China are bolded. The Korean versions of these brands are not tested on animals.
EDIT 3/17/2019: “China has announced that post-market cosmetic testing in the country will no longer include animal tests.” Source: Live Kindly.
The Big List of Cruelty-Free KBeauty Brands
- A. True
- Amore Pacific
- Annick Goutal
- Beauty Recipe
- Blossom Jeju
- Dr. Jart+
- Earth’s Recipe
- ECO ROUND
- Etude House
- Goutal Annick
- Grey Melinda
- Half Moon Eyes
- Leaders ^
- May Island
- Nablus Soap
- Nature Belle
- Ph Drop
- Pony Effect
- Primary Raw
- SanDa Wa (Leaping Bunny Certified)
- Skin Watchers
- Thank You Farmer
- The SoonSoo
^ Visitor Addition
Last Updated: April 13, 2018